Wednesday 10 November 2010

A visit to Atom Towers

When I received an invitation from the lovely Rose to attend a blogger event at Atom Towers, I jumped at the chance! I am a massive fan of a number of the Little, Brown imprints - Atom and Orbit chief among them - and I was keen to see where the magic happens *grins*

WELL! The building in which they have their offices is just beautiful - and slightly intimidating. I was so relieved that Molly from Words and Pieces was also in reception and looking as lost as me!

We were greeted by the Atom team with champagne - and the most unbelievable cupcakes:



The Atom girls - Kirsteen, Gina, Sam, Kate and Rose - then gave a knowledgeable and enthusiastic presentation about the books coming from Atom in 2011. It sounds as though it will be a year of firsts from Atom - as well as treading well-loved and familiar ground.

We will be seeing some great new paranormal titles next year, including the 8th book in the House of Night series (Awakened) and Invincible by Sherrilyn Kenyon.

In terms of firsts, we can expect to see Atom's first non-paranormal tale in the form of Rosebush by Michelle Jaffe. This one is a taut dark mystery - and, I have to say, the cover looks *gorgeous*. Us lucky peeps also got a copy of it in our goodie bag and I can't wait to dive in!

Atom are also bringing out their first translated book - The Game - which is originally from Germany and aimed more at the teen boy market. As is *takes a deep breath* "One Seriously Messed-up Week in the Otherwise Mundane and Uneventful Life of Jack Samsonite". Yes, that's all one title! This book sounds like a sort of up-to-date Judy Blume for boys and I can't wait to get my hands on it!



Of great interest to me was the new initiative that Atom are starting - the Atomics. There will be a press release coming for this one, but it basically involves initiating the future generation of bloggers! Getting under 18s/teens reading books and sharing their thoughts and ideas about them. If you have any friends or relations that fit the remit (teens!) then let them know that Atom need them - and look out for the official announcement soonish.



I had a simply lovely day (which had started with a visit to Gollancz and a coffee with Jon and Simon - they gave me a copy of Rivers of London by Ben Aaronovitch, which looks great - and then a flying visit to to Ewa in Lush - more freebies received!)

Thanks very much to all at Atom for putting on such a great party.

7 comments:

  1. Ah I couldn't go to this because of work :0( Looks like it was lovely though, those cakes look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh it sounds like you had a fabulous day!! Do you know sometimes I wish I lived closer, you guys get to go to all the fun events and signings. Well, live closer or be really rich so I could pop over really often!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH MY GOD those cupcakes! That's so cute!

    This Atomics idea sounds promising. I love all of these drives to get younger readers blogging - can only be a good thing!

    :D Hope you liked the goodies! *Sends hugs*

    E xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I am so jealous. Not just for the cupcakes :P

    The Atomics idea sounds brilliant, I'll keep an eye out for that as my 3 girls have all inherited my book obsession ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so gutted I couldn't make it but next time, I'll be there!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It was lovely to get a chance to meet you Amanda :o) Hopefully we'll get more time to chat at a future event! It was such a fab evening wasn't it, I'm looking forward to reading all of the books that were mentioned

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks like it was an amazing event - targeting bloggers and feeding them buns? Atom know what they're doing. I hope you don't mind that I'm mentioning this in my blog and linking back to yours. I (sort of) collect marketing ploys and this is a great one.

    ReplyDelete