Sunday 17 April 2011

30 Days of Genre - Day 5

Here we are on Day 5, and I've already experienced a little slippage on getting these posts out - I fail on regular blog posting! *grins*

The topic today is Character you feel you are most like (or wish you were)

This topic gave me my usual woe about how few genuinely awesome female characters there are in genre novels. I could list you umpteen fantastic male characters but the women are in short supply, in comparison.

I am already running a series of Formidable Female Protagonists posts to highlight the women in genre who I feel shine forth.

And my choice for today's category is one of these: Alanna the Lionness, from the Tamora Pierce books.

Hell, I wished I was her when I first read the books! I still do. Bolshy, determined, never one to shy from a challenge, talented, not beautiful but attractive. Faults galore, including being supremely stubborn and independent. I just luuuurve her.

Not only that, but she decides that she wants to be a knight and that women can totally do as well as men, which appeals to be on every level.

Alanna the Lionness is awesome. And I really wouldn't mind being in her shoes!

2 comments:

  1. I would have to say Stardrifter from Sara DOuglass' Axis Trilogy. He's the most powerful enchanter in the land, he can sing, he gets all the ladies, he's an asshole sometimes and my favourite... he has wings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm leaning toward Rupert Avery from Ray Feist's Serpentwar Saga. No, I don't wish to be like him, rather I think there are unmistakable similarities between the character and I, warts and all.

    ReplyDelete